Family Law Attorney
Child Custody & Visitation Modifications
Child Support Modifications
Paternity Testing & Paternity Legitimation
If the mother and the father of the child were never married to each other, legitimation is the process that a biological father may undertake in Ohio to legally establish a relationship with his child. The purpose of Ohio’s laws regarding legitimation and paternity is to provide a path for a father to establish a legal relationship with his child(ren).
Generally, there are ways that a child’s biological father may go about legitimating that child:
1. Entering into an Acknowledgement of Legitimation with the child’s mother; and
2. Filing a Petition for Legitimation.
Family & Domestic Violence Legal Help
In Ohio, Domestic violence is when a family or household member does any of the following:
- attempts to cause or recklessly causes you bodily injury;
- by the threat of force, puts you in fear of:
- immediate, serious physical harm;
- menacing by stalking; or
- aggravated trespass;*
- commits any act with respect to a child that would result in the child being an “abused child” (as defined by law),* which includes mental injury that harms or threatens to harm the child’s health or welfare;** or
- commits a sexually oriented offense.*
* Ohio Rev. Code § 3113.31(A)(1)
** Ohio Rev. Code § 2151.031(D)
Although many have the impression that family violence only includes acts of physical abuse, this is not so. Assault, stalking, trespass, and property damage are also considered family violence according to Ohio law. Thus, if your spouse or partner subjects you to mental, emotional or verbal abuse, you may be a victim of family violence according to Ohio law.
Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements
Postnuptial agreements are similar to prenuptial agreements in that they are legal agreements entered into by both spouses during the marriage that spell out how assets or debts will be divided in the case of divorce or death. Simply, these agreements are prenuptial agreements that are signed during the marriage, not before.
Grandparent Visitation Rights
The content of this website is for informational purposes only; users should not rely on the content as advice but should consult a lawyer about their unique legal issues. We represent clients throughout Columbus: Galloway, Lincoln Village, West Jefferson, Grandview Heights, Grove City, Hilliard, Darbydale, and Urbancrest in the areas of Probate and Estate Planning, Wills & Trusts, and Injury Law. © 2021 Estate Lawyer Bendig | Marketing Partner | Sitemap | Privacy